Few men’s college basketball programs have churned out top-line NBA talent quite like the Bill Self-led Kansas Jayhawks have over the years.
With reigning NBA most valuable player Joel Embiid and former No. 1 overall pick and NBA journeyman Andrew Wiggins joined by more recent talent like Christian Braun, Ochai Agbaji, Devonte’ Graham and Josh Jackson — there’s no shortage of Rock Chalk talent in the league — and reason for KU fans to follow the NBA on Kansas sports betting sites.
Two more Jayhawks, in Gradey Dick and Jalen Wilson — joined the KU NBA brotherhood this month, with Dick going to the Raptors with the 13th pick and Wilson going 51st overall to the Nets.
BetKansas.com broke down how much value KU’s 16 NBA Draft picks since 2013 have chipped in, using the win share figures from Basketball-Reference.com.
KU NBA Draft Picks Since 2013
- Gradey Dick (13th pick, Toronto Raptors)
- Jalen Wilson (51st pick, Brooklyn Nets)
- Ochai Agbaji (14th pick, Cleveland Cavaliers): 7.9 PPG/2.1 RPG/1.1 APG/1.3 win shares
- Christian Braun (21st pick, Denver Nuggets): 4.7 PPG/2.4 RPG/0.8 APG/1.9 win shares
- Quentin Grimes (25th pick, L.A. Clippers/New York Knicks): 9.2 PPG/2.8 RPG/1.7 APG/6.2 win shares
- Udoka Azubuike (27th pick, Utah Jazz): 3.3 PPG/3.0 RPG/0.2 APG/1.8 win shares
- Devonte’ Graham (34th pick, Atlanta Hawks/Charlotte Hornets): 11.6 PPG/2.3 RPG/4.5 APG/12.6 win shares
- Svi Mykhailiuk (47th pick, L.A. Lakers): 6.6 PPG/1.8 RPG/1.4 APG/3.3 win shares
- Josh Jackson (4th pick, Phoenix Suns): 11.3 PPG/4.0 RPG/1.8 APG/-1.7 win shares
- Frank Mason III (34th pick, Sacramento Kings): 6.7 PPG/2.0 RPG/2.6 APG/1.2 win shares
- Cheick Diallo (33rd pick, L.A. Clippers/New Orleans Pelicans): 5.2 PPG/4.1 RPG/0.4 APG/6.3 win shares
- Kelly Oubre Jr. (15th pick, Atlanta Hawks/Washington Wizards): 12.8 PPG/4.4 RPG/1.0 APG/19.2 win shares
- Andrew Wiggins (1st pick, Cleveland Cavaliers): 19.1 PPG/4.5 RPG/2.3 APG/26.3 win shares
- Joel Embiid (3rd pick, Philadelphia 76ers): 27.2 PPG/11.2 RPG/3.4 APG/56.0 win shares
- Ben McLemore (7th pick, Sacramento Kings): 9.0 PPG/2.3 RPG/1.0 APG/9.0 win shares
- Jeff Withey (39th pick, Portland Trail Blazers/New Orleans Pelicans): 3.2 PPG/2.5 RPG/0.3 APG/6.8 win shares
Unfortunately for Dick and Wilson, their new teams are in similar spots when it comes to NBA title odds at Kansas sportsbook apps. The Raptors are +8000, while the Nets are +12500.
Big Names Dot KU Draft List
The 14 KU players drafted between 2013 and 2022 chipped in a total of 150.2 win shares, averaging out to 10.73 per Jayhawk.
Led by Embiid, who has 56.0 win shares alone since going to the 76ers with the third pick of the 2014 NBA Draft, there’s no shortage of Jayhawk power in today’s NBA action.
While Embiid — fourth in 2024 MVP odds at +600 at BetMGM Sportsbook Kansas — is the overwhelming leader among KU players in win shares since 2013, other former Lawrence standouts like Wiggins (26.3 win shares), Kelly Oubre Jr. (19.2 win shares), Graham (12.6 win shares) and Ben McLemore (9.0 win shares) have chipped in their fair share.
While no one knows how well Dick (you can use Kansas sportsbook promo codes to get +4000 odds on him for NBA Rookie of the Year) or Wilson will acclimate to their newfound NBA homes, there’s no denying KU has been among the nation’s leaders in producing topline basketball talent over the last decade.